Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Garnet Mimms & the Enchanters - "A Quiet Place"

Recently I sent in a list of my top 10 songs to a podcast, and when I heard them read back, I immediately knew I'd left off something important. Today, while looking up some videos of Northern Soul songs (which is a whole different can of worms) Garnett Mimms popped up, and I knew what I had missed. The likelyhood is that even if you've never heard Garnet Mimms sing, you've heard one of his songs. First released in 1963, "Cry Baby" was a hit for Mimms and the Enchanters, but it's more common to hear the Janis Joplin version of the song when it pops up in commercials and such. "Cry Baby" is a great song, but it's not the song I'm going to talk about.


I'm not going to run down all of Mr. Mimms biographical stats, but if anyone is interested, there is a great article on Blackcat Rockabilly Europe, and you know that's for real because I couldn't have made up the name of that site if I wanted to. Anyhow, "A Quiet Place" is another song that came off a Carolina Beach music compilation that I got. I've always loved the vibe of the song, and it kicks right off with a lady crying out for, "Johnny, Johnny Dollar". Mimms captures the forlorn spirit of his long suffering and sleepless character, and for me, it always hits the spot when I feel like I want to get away.



1 comment:

  1. A Quiet Place is one of my all time favorite Carolina Beach songs. I don't think I ever get tired of hearing it.

    As for Northern Soul, trying to figure what is and what isn't just makes my head hurt :-) Here's a good link to the top 500 Northern Soul Hits: http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/steveparker/northern_soul_top_500.htm

    ReplyDelete